D. M. Gremlin Productions - Forums

Veins

Author:  riddlerj [ Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Veins

I swear I didn't use some sort of Photoshop Blue Vein filter or third part tool.  Did any of your photos show veins like this picure?

Author:  D. M. Gremlin [ Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Veins

Interesting shot of Miss Conduct.  Thanks for sharing.  I don't know that she'd like that shot (I think most models don't like to see their own veins) but it would be cool if you could somehow make a theme out of the veins - duplicate them so that they are all over her, like some kind of crazy virus.

I shot with a model named Lectrae - OMP#129954 a while back and did a trick that made her look like she was covered in 'veins' by overlaying a texture that I shot with my macro lens of a wall in this hotel (the Excalibur) in Las Vegas.  You might find this picture interesting and somewhat related to your idea.

I've also attached one of my photos if Miss Conduct from that shoot.  I tweaked the colors around a bit to make it a bit more 'neon'.

Author:  Battledress Paint N Body [ Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:47 pm ]

Did your model have any body makeup on?

Depending on the lighting used, and how dark the cave the model lives in, I have seen veins be an issue...

Could you see the veins at all in person? I bet money you could... just not as much as in the shot.

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 am ]

I'm pretty sure that for this shoot that Gremlin and Jeremy had, the model wouldn't have had any body makeup on. I'm not positive, but I know Gremlin had models work with very minimal makeup almost all the time. This continued to be the case when I started shooting with him. He would almost always ask the model to use very light/natural facial makeup, and avoid body makeup or oil.

I also had an image where the model's veins became really visible in the b/w conversion. I went back and looked at the color version and the veins were visible, but they did not draw the attention at all. They only became very prominent in the b/w version of the image. I actually thought it made the image much more interesting, and brought the effect out a bit further with a small levels adjustment in post processing. This model had very pale skin and no body makeup. (see CRW_0338 attachment)

Another image shot with the model in the same spot, almost same pose, not quite as close a view, but you can also see the veins in this image. (see CRW_0340 attachment)

I'm not sure the veins in any of the examples were felt to be a problem, but more a point of interest. This is art photography though, and probably that would be a whole different story if, say, it was a high-fashion photo shoot and the model's veins were distinctly visible in the images!

Author:  Battledress Paint N Body [ Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:15 pm ]

Well, I like the veins... they are what keeps the art real and not a plastic version of a human being...

But, if they pop up when they're not wanted or expected.... well, that's why a Playboy model has foundation on her from stem to stern...

Author:  UniqueNudes [ Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:07 pm ]

I've never shot Miss C (or Daisy, though they both have expressed interest in working with me our schedules never seem to mesh) but a few years ago I shot what is now one of my most popular images, with virtually no Photoshop save for upping the contrast, which made the veins on my model (already visible a tiny bit due to the red filter I was using on the camera) REALLY pop out. *Actually Gremlin got to meet this model at my Vegas gallery show and I think they all went out for dinner that night after the limo ride.* Anyhow, here is the image, which was in fact also part of my last show:

Author:  wynnesome [ Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 pm ]

Yep, that's the veiny effect... seems to be not all that uncommon, just surprising the first time you see it pop out of a particular image.

I think it's lovely... but I can see how it could give a distracting texture if the focus of the photograph is meant to be on the overall figure or another aspect of the image. Just a taste issue, more than likely, whether to seek out this effect, avoid it, or let it come through when it does or doesn't naturally.

Author:  riddlerj [ Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:13 am ]

Wendy is correct, no makeup was used in this shoot. We used the same red gel during the entire shot as Gremlin wanted to stay very focused and work within the confines of a single lighting setup.

: