----------------------------------- D. M. Gremlin Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:53 am MXL V69 vs Neumann M149 - tube mics on an Acoustic Guitar ----------------------------------- Here are some more tests done at Marshall Electronics' studios in L.A. - I was not present at these tests, so there are no pictures, but this test is the [url=www.dm-gremlin.com/sales/product_info.php?cPath=22_23&products_id=248]MXL V69 tube mic (the older version without the internal mogami wiring) against a Neumann M149 tube mic. I'm not sure if these mics are using the same tubes - I couldn't find any data on what kind of tube the M149 (if somebody knows please post here) uses, but the V69 uses a 12AT7. Both clips are .wav files compressed to .mp3 at 192kbps. Original .wavs available on request. The guitar used in this test was the same one as was used in the MXL 603/KM84 test. Keep this in mind when you listen to the clips: [url=www.dm-gremlin.com/music/tests/3-V69.mp3]MXL V69 (831kb) --- [url=www.dm-gremlin.com/music/tests/4-M149.mp3]Neumann M149 (831kb) This test actually surprised me quite a bit. No matter how many times I listen to the two, I think the V69 sounds MUCH better than the M149. In fact, the M149 seems to be adding some 'color' to the guitar that I'm really not at all fond of. The M149 has some kind of nasty mid-range thing going on that is especially drawn out when compared with the V69. Well, the M149 was based on the U47, but they used different parts and I think it's a different tube so who knows. Personally I think that the MXL V77S actually sounds a lot better than the MXL V69M (a test for another day), but the V69M stomps all over the M149. Maybe you'll disagree with me on this one and who knows, maybe it's just the crack talking again, but I don't like microphones that color the sound of the instrument. Although I wasn't personally there to hear what the guitar actually sounded like, it seems as though the 603S, KM184, and V69 seem to agree on what it sounded like, and I believe the majority, and personally I thing the majority opinion sounds better as well. The V69M 'Guitar Center' price: $299, the M149 - About $4000. ----------------------------------- Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:42 pm Re: MXL V69 vs Neumann M149 - tube mics on an Acoustic Guita ----------------------------------- you know man...it's really awesome that your posting these comparisons...i mean...just going to the effort of putting them up is really great...good show! But in this case i have to disagree...i thought the m149 sounded WAY better....tons of silk...not nearly as harsh as the mxl. There's a clarity to the midrange that is more pleasing or something...smoother. just my opinion. d.